Subject: Re: pewter
From: [email-masked] (Mark Thompson)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 01:29:55 EST

> What do you guys think would be the optimal settings to get something that
> looks like a dull pewter, the diffused metallic greyish that you see on
> 1950s SF rockets?

Its a metal, so use color highlight. Its a porous metal, so use very small
fractal noise bumps and a little larger fractal noise specularity map.
Specularity maps go a long way to making good natural looking materials...
especially metalics.

BTW, for those of you muttering..."that damn Thompson, he never gives
actual parameter setting..." Sorry, I think understanding the nature of
what makes things looks right is far more valuable than just barfing out
numbers to type in. In the long run, the experimentation you are forced
to do will make you a superior texture artist.
     *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     *           Mark Thompson                  (603) 424-1829    *
     *         Fusion Films, Inc.             [email-masked]  *
     * Director of Animation and Special FX                       *
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
--
[email-masked] (Mark Thompson) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]